Fuel and Electric Assistance Programs

Act now to reduce your heating and electric bills.

Heating and electricity costs have risen dramatically in recent years, and continue to do so.  Community Action Partnership of Strafford County (CAPSC) can help you and your loved ones stay warm and live in security.  Over $2.2 million dollars was spent on fuel assistance to households in Strafford County during 2022.  Applying for the Fuel and/or Electric Assistance Program is the first step, and we are here to help.

If you or a family member needs help paying heating and electric bills, even if you don’t think you qualify, don’t hesitate to apply!  Help may be available.

Did You Know?

  • You can apply for money-saving programs quickly and easily.

  • You can save up to 76% on your electric bills, year-round.

  • You can get discounted rates on heating fuel during the winter months.

In 2021-2022, Strafford County families received an average benefit of $1,146.82

Fuel Assistance

The federally funded Low-Income Home Energy Program (LIHEAP), also known as the Fuel Assistance Program (FAP), provides qualified households with assistance in paying their heating bills during the winter heating season. Your benefits are calculated based on number of household members, household income, energy costs and housing type among other things. This allows those households with the lowest incomes and highest energy costs to receive the highest benefits.

What kind of assistance will I receive?

The FAP program pays fuel vendors directly. The invoice amount is subtracted from the FAP customer’s benefit amount. Vendors may continue to submit invoices throughout the fuel season until the customer’s benefit is at zero.

When should I apply?

When it comes to heating your home, it’s important to act early. The Fuel Assistance Program runs from November 1 – April 30, and applications are accepted starting July 1.

Application and Program Timeline

  • July 1 - August 30

    Priority applications are accepted starting July 1 for any household (has at least one member) who meets at least ONE of the following criteria:

    – is aged 60 or over
    – has a documented disability
    – has a child under age 6
    – uses wood as their primary heating source

  • September 1 - September 30

    Starting September 1,  applications will be accepted for all households, for the following fuel types:

    – Oil
    – Kerosene
    – Propane

    September 1 - September 30

  • October 1 - April 30

    Starting October 1,  applications will be accepted for all households for ALL heating types:

    – Oil
    – Kerosene
    – Propane
    – Electric
    – Natural gas

  • November 1

    Assistance begins on November 1 and ends April 30.

    November 1

  • April 30

    Assistance ends on April 30. This is the last day to apply for the program.

  • Did you miss the deadline?

    Contact us at (603) 435-2500

    Did you miss the deadline?

Electric Bill Assistance

The New Hampshire Electric Assistance Program (EAP) gives eligible customers a discount on their monthly electric bills—anywhere from 8% to 76% depending on your gross household income and household size. This discount can make your electric bills more affordable, help waive late fees and deposits, and prevent service disconnects. Benefits and participation are subject to availability of funds.

The following is a list of companies that participate in the program:


3 Ways to Apply for Fuel & Electric Assistance

In-Person Appointment

Complete the required forms, then meet with us in-person or by phone to apply.

In order to be considered for the Fuel Assistance Program or the New Hampshire Electric Assistance Program, you must apply. You can apply for one or both programs at the same time. Applications are taken through our Client Services Office in Dover, by appointment, or by mail. We strongly encourage all families in need to apply for these assistance programs, even if you don’t think you qualify.

Applications can take as long as 60 days to process. Apply early to make sure you get the help you need when you need it!

Forms and Required Documentation

The following list of forms and documentation may be needed to complete your application. Incomplete applications will not be eligible to receive a benefit and will be denied. Call our office to find out how to reapply if your application has been denied.

NOTE: Failure to bring all necessary documents with you to your appointment will delay your application process.

Click here for a printable PDF version of this list.

Gross wages for all household members for the last 30 days prior to your application date.

  • 5 pay stubs if paid weekly
  • 3 pay stubs if paid bi-weekly
  • 2 pay stubs if paid monthly

Examples of required income: employment; pensions; retirement; civil service; unemployment; workers’ compensation; bank interest and dividends; self-employment; annuities; alimony; any income received by the Social Security Administration etc.

Download Employment Release Form

If you have received assistance, either from your local town welfare agency or the Department of Health and Human Services (Food Stamps, TANF, APTD, OAA, FAP, NHEP etc.) you will need a copy of the most recent decision letter.

A child support form must be completed for households where only one biological parent resides. If you pay child support, provide proof of receipts within the application income period.

Download Child Support Form

Anyone 16 years or older with no or low income, who is not in high school, must complete a No/Low Income Form. Assistance Form may be requested if help is received outside of the home.

Download No/Low Income Form

Any household member that is self-employed is required to provide a copy of their SIGNED current tax return along with the Schedule C and all supporting schedules.

Download Schedule C Form

All applicants must provide a copy of their most recently completed IRS Tax Return. Any adult household members that did not file will need to complete a 4506-T to confirm non-filing.

Download 4506-T Form

Renters with heat included are required to have a Landlord/Tenant Verification form completed by the landlord. Homeowners must provide proof of a mortgage statement or property tax bill.

Download Landlord/Tenant Verification Form

For all household members, if applicable.

Vendor must be established before your application date. If you have used the same fuel vendor for the past 12 months, please provide 12 months of fuel costs.

Most recent electric bill (Eversource or NH Electric Co-op)

***Please keep in mind that not all circumstances can be addressed, and that additional paperwork may be requested during the application process.

Feel free to contact our office to discuss any unusual circumstances so we can best assist you. Our number is (603) 435-2500.

Ready to Apply?

Frequently Asked Questions

CAPSC will use your benefit amount to pay your heating bill. Once you have exhausted your benefit amount, you are responsible for paying your bill.

Yes, please complete an application for Electric Assistance.

Unfortunately, you may not apply after April 30. Applications for Fuel Assistance must be submitted by April 30 each year.

Yes! Even if you don’t think you will qualify, we encourage you to apply.

Applications can take up to 60 days to process. After your application is certified you will either receive an Enrollment Letter or a Denial Letter.

If you were denied due to being over income, you may reapply if your income changes. If you were denied for insufficient documentation, you may submit the documents within 30 days, and we can redetermine your eligibility. If you wait longer than 30 days, you will need to restart the application process.